The World Affairs Council of Kentucky & Southern Indiana provides opportunities for the residents of Kentucky and Southern Indiana to engage in international issues and global leaders. Our vision is to be the premier regional organization that enhances global economic and political awareness among our constituents. We bring the world to you!
Learn. Engage. Connect.
What is the World Affairs Council of Kentucky & Southern Indiana?
The World Affairs Council of Kentucky & Southern Indiana (WAC) is a non-profit member-based organization whose mission is to promote cross-cultural awareness, education and tolerance through nonpartisan discussions on current international issues. Through our speaker series, international visitors program and education-centered opportunities, WAC provides the community with the tools and knowledge to develop an informed citizenry and increase the global competency of students, educators and professionals.
As a member of two nationally and internationally recognized networks promoting international exchange of people and ideas, and a respected forum for diverse perspectives, the World Affairs Council:
- Engages diplomats and global experts across diverse fields to inform our community about the most pressing international issues of the day
- Deepens awareness and understanding of global issues among its members and general public throughout Kentucky and Southern Indiana
- Connects businesses, schools and individuals with international leaders identified by the U.S. Department of State as future change-makers in their respective fields and countries
- Connects corporations and professional leaders with a network of globally-engaged individuals for business development opportunities
- Provides educators and schools with the resources and tools to meet their cultural competency goals
- Helps prepare students as well-informed and culturally aware global citizens
- Offers businesses the opportunity to develop a competitive and globally competent workforce
Education is at the heart of WAC’s mission. We help students expand their knowledge of international affairs through the state-wide Academic WorldQuest™ Competition, participate in study/research experiences abroad through the David Hershberg Scholarship, and expand their worldviews via easy access to our monthly speaker and visitor programs. We work with educators to provide them with opportunities to enhance their knowledge and effectively meet their professional goals. We work with educational institutions through the WAC Global Education Consortium to leverage our global programs and networks in achieving their need to create globally competent students and teachers.
Our “World @ Home” Monthly Speaker Series is the local forum to directly engage international diplomats on a variety of international issues. Each month, we highlight a theme affecting our world and feature a diplomat, expert, policy maker, journalist and /or activist who “brings home” the relevance of that theme to our local community. Through this program, we stimulate dialogue between diverse sectors of our community, and in the process, inform our local citizenry on how to address these global issues in a local context.
As the official community-based member of the U.S. Department of State’s prestigious International Visitor Leadership Program, WAC has exclusive access to some of the most promising leaders, dynamic professionals and fearless activists from across the globe. Each year, hundreds of international visitors come through our international visitor program to engage their counterparts from Kentucky and Southern Indiana. Visitors participate in programs aimed at developing everything from youth leadership skills to practicing conflict resolution strategies in post-conflict societies. WAC contributes to the diversity and economic development of our region by connecting local businesses and organizations to our international delegates, and thus strengthening social and economic ties across the globe.
WE BRING THE WORLD TO KENTUCKY & SOUTHERN INDIANA!