Become an intern with the World Affairs Council of Kentucky and Southern Indiana!
The mission of the World Affairs Council of Kentucky & Southern Indiana (WAC) is to promote cross-cultural awareness, education and tolerance through nonpartisan discussions on current international issues. We accomplish our mission by organizing and bringing high-quality international programming to our area.
An internship with the WAC provides students with the opportunity to gain experience in a wide variety of areas, including international affairs through interaction with international visitors, community engagement, educational programs and office administration.
Expectations for all interns:
- Schedule must be flexible to WAC office hours (Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
- Basic knowledge of administrative tasks (i.e. e-mail, answering phones, Microsoft Word and Excel).
- Casual dress unless assisting with meetings or events in which professional attire is appropriate.
- Promote teamwork by sharing ideas, impressions, and suggestions with WAC staff.
- Enjoy the volunteering and cross-cultural experience!
Now accepting applications for Spring, Summer and Fall 2017!
Focus: Administration Intern
As an Administration Intern, you will have the opportunity to develop strong organizational, communication, and computer skills; practical skills that are necessary for any work. The intern will have the following responsibilities:
- Prepare various spreadsheets as requested
- Maintain record and filing (virtual) of membership and program resources
- Assist in event preparations and logistics
- Answer the phone and make calls to vendors as requested
- Preparing documents for meetings – copying, collating, ensure good presentation, etc.
- Work with Executive Director and other staff on specific administrative tasks as assigned
Focus: Marketing & Communications
Assist with events preparation and marketing efforts. Responsibilities will include:
- Support planning and development of programs.
- Participate in discussions about ideas to improve marketing outreach.
- Assist with brochures, flyers and other marketing materials.
- Support public relations efforts including press releases, newspaper editorials, email blasts, publications, and mailings for other special events.
- Perform administrative tasks as assigned.
Focus: International Visitors Program (3 available)
As an International Visitors Program (IVP) Intern, you will have the following responsibilities:
- Assist WAC staff with logistical arrangements of international visitors’ cultural and professional program.
- Arrange hotel and home-stay accommodations.
- Greet visitors at the airport and assist in their departure.
- Research professional appointments and internships.
- Research and develop cultural activities for participants.
- Participate in cross-cultural activities with visitors and staff.
- Accompany international delegations to meetings and site visits.
- Perform administrative tasks as requested.
Focus: Education Program
As an Education Program Intern, you will have the following responsibilities:
- Research education programs from across other councils in the US.
- Work closely with the Executive Director in developing a global education program.
- Assist in work related to proposed Education Consortium.
- Reach out to relevant stakeholders for education efforts as requested.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
To apply to become an intern with the World Affairs Council of Kentucky & Southern Indiana, please fill out and send the Internship Application, your resume, and cover letter to email@example.com or World Affairs Council, 2500 Montgomery Street, Suite 6, Louisville, KY 40212.
*Internship applications are accepted year-round on a rolling basis. WAC is always interested in volunteer and intern assistance!